Be Kind to Yourself
A couple weeks ago, I was having a heart-felt conversation with someone that led to me talking about my fears, self-doubt, and insecurities. In that conversation, I was asked a question that continues to linger in my mind…
“What would you say if someone was saying these same things to you about their self?”
Interesting… my first reaction to that question included tears and confusion and ‘Why would anyone say such terrible things about themselves? Why would they doubt themselves so much? Why would they let other people’s opinions weigh so heavily on their heart?’
And then came the…. “wait… why do I do all of those things?” I don’t want anyone to think or feel negatively about themselves. I don’t want anyone to have to experience some of the pain that I’ve felt. Yet, I know people do, and people have. So, if you’ve ever found yourself swirling in a spiral of negative thoughts and feelings, maybe it will help to think about this:
What if someone were saying those things to you? What would you tell them? How would you treat them? Try treating yourself this way. Love yourself as you love others. Remember, you cannot pour from an empty cup. Take care of yourself.
Love yourself because:
- You have a giant heart that allows you to love others and yourself to no end.
- You are creative. There are no rights, wrongs, or should haves. What you do, your process and your result, is your art. There is value in your art.
- You have a grateful heart. You have worked through obstacles and hardships in life. You will continue to push through to be the best version of yourself possible. You know you wouldn’t be the person you are today without these hardships.
- You have feelings and emotions. You allow yourself to feel the highs and the lows and everything in-between.
- You are kind to others. You know first hand how the smallest act of kindness can change someone’s life. You take the time to love others and let them know that they are special to you.
- You have beautiful dreams and you haven’t given up on them.
- You are strong and resilient. You have a fighting spirit and you know that there is nothing in life that you cannot overcome.
- You are honest. Honesty takes courage. You choose the high road, even when it’s not the easiest.
- You have an open mind. You are willing to learn, grow and accept. This willingness to love and accept our differences will take you far in life.
- You self-respect. You work hard and take the steps necessary to better yourself, your mind, and your life.
What are some things (or even just ONE thing!) that you love about yourself?